Traffic Chief, Linden IslesThere has been a slight increase in fatal accidents recorded in the country for the first half of 2019 when compared to the same period for last year.The combination of speeding and driving under the influence of alcohol accounted for a large percentage of these accidents.This is according to Deputy Police Commissioner and Traffic Chief, Linden Isles, who during an exclusive interview with Guyana Times on Friday explained that these tragedies could have been prevented.He stated that in total, there have been 49 accidents recorded throughout Guyana since the commencement of 2019, resulting in the deaths of 52 individuals.In A Division (Georgetown-East Bank Demerara), there were 13 accidents which claimed the lives of 14 persons while in B Division (Berbice), 14 accidents occurred with the same amount of deaths recorded.C Division (East Coast Demerara) recorded five accidents whereby six persons lost their lives and D Division (West Bank Demerara-East Bank Essequibo) had 11 accidents with 11 deaths.Meanwhile, in E Division (Linden-Kwakwani), there were three lives lost as a result of two accidents. F Division (Interior locations) recorded one accident with one life being lost and in G Division (Essequibo Coast-Islands), there were three accidents recorded with three deaths.“That will give you 49 accidents with 52 deaths overall which is a slight increase. We had 51 deaths last year from 44 accidents. Over 75 per cent of these fatal accidents were caused by driving under the influence of alcohol and speeding, a combination of these two.”Guyana Times understands that in 2018, of the 51 deaths recorded as a result of fatal accidents, 41 were males while 10 were females. Of this total, two were children.Meanwhile, for 2019 to date, 42 persons who died from being involved in a fatal accident were males while 10 were females. Of the 52 deaths for 2019 so far, four were children.The most recent fatal accident occurred on Wednesday evening after a truck carrying logs turned turtle while climbing a hill on the Linden-Lethem trail. The dead man has been identified as 35-year-old Anil Persaud of Norton Street, Lodge, Georgetown.It was reported that the porter, along with two others who were inside of the truck at the time of the accident, are said to have sustained minor injuries and were admitted at the Linden Hospital Complex, Region 10, for treatment.Police preliminary investigations revealed that at about 14:00h, Persaud was driving the motor lorry bearing registration number BBC 9430 and upon reaching the top of a hill, the trailer, which was loaded with logs, suddenly began to descend.As this began to happen, Persaud attempted to change gears and direction but instead, the vehicle toppled downhill. Although the porter and other occupants made it out of the wreckage, Persaud was said to have been pinned in the wrecked cabin for quite some time.Nevertheless, he was pulled from the mangled cabin several hours later.The mangled truck after the accidentDead, Anil Persaud
Only names that occurred five or more times were listed. VICTORIA, B.C. – The Provincial Ministry of Health has released a list of the most popular baby names for 2019. – Advertisement -All data was collected through the Vital Statistics Agency’s preliminary figures from January 1 to December 18, 2019. According to the Province, Olivia came out on top for the most popular baby name for 2019 in B.C., followed by Oliver, Lucas, Liam, Ethan, Noah, William, Benjamin, Charlotte, Emma and Leo. In 2018, the most popular baby name was Liam followed by Olivia, Emma, Lucas, Oliver, Benjamin, Ethan, Noah, Logan and Amelia. Overall, a total of 40,978 babies were born in B.C. in 2019; approximately 3,000 less than in 2018.Advertisement More information on popular baby names can be found on the Province’s website.
Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal have been put on high alert after the agent of Ivan Rakitic appeared to plunge the midfielder’s future into doubt.All three Premier League clubs have been linked with the Croatian midfielder in the past but he appeared content at Barcelona having played 36 times in La Liga last term.However, the competition for places at the Nou Camp has intensified following the shock arrival of Andre Gomes and reports in Spain have suggested that Rakitic could be about to leave.Miquel Sors, who is an agent who works on behalf of the 28-year-old, took to Twitter just hours after Gomes’ arrival and wrote ‘Creo que es hora de irse…’ which translates as ‘it’s time to leave’.And the cryptic message has been taken as a clear indication by the Spanish press that Rakitic may look to find a new club where he will be guaranteed regular first-team football next season.There are currently nine midfielders vying for just a trio of places behind Barca’s three-pronged attack of Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar.Rakitic is currently high in the pecking order but reports have suggested that talks regarding a new deal have not progressed.And that could open the door for one of his Premier League rivals to manoeuvre what would be one of the deals of the summer by landing the talented playmaker. Is Croatia playmaker Ivan Rakitic set to leave Barcelona this summer? 1
OAKLAND – After a demoralizing loss with a depleted lineup, Draymond Green stayed positive, saying the result would only delay Golden State’s fourth NBA title in five years.“We just got to continue to battle and win the next game, go back to Toronto, win Game 5, come back to Oracle, win Game 6 and then celebrate,” Green said. “Fun times ahead.”Green’s joking postgame demeanor belied his frustration on the court during the Warriors’ 123-109 loss to Toronto at Oracle Arena, which put Golden …
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest For DuPont Pioneer Account Manager Trent Brisby’s territory in Northwest Ohio, the time to chop silage is just around the corner. He visits with the Ohio Ag Net’s Ty Higgins about things to think about before silage harvest begins. He also covers the variability of crops in his area and reveals an update to the Encirca Services app in this week’s DuPont Pioneer Field Report.
TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Juventus to slap in immediate bid for Arsenal midfielder Ramseyby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveJuventus are pushing Arsenal to cough up Aaron Ramsey this month.Off contract in June, Ramsey has already settled pre-contract terms with Juve, according to Italian media sources. However, Juve chief Fabio Paratici wants to bring the deal forward and sign the Welshman immediately.Corriere dello Sport says Juve intend to offer €5m to Arsenal to convince them to sell.But Gunners manager Unai Emery could prove an obstacle as he doesn’t want to lose Ramsey until the end of the season.“I want him in the present with us,” said Emery on Thursday.“At the end of the season is the moment he can go to one team or another team.”
TagsTransfersAbout the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say Arsenal consider Edu for director of football roleby Ansser Sadiq10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal are looking at former player Edu as a possible director of football.They are looking to add another person who can offer football expertise to their operations, which include Raul Sanllehi as the head of football and Sven Mislintat as a head scout.Edu played 127 times for the Gunners from 2001 to 2005.He has served as a director at Corinthians, while he is a technical director for the Brazilian national team as well.It is unclear if Edu even wants the role and if others are being considered. The news comes from the Evening Standard.
TagsTransfersAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say BVB winger Sancho tips Chelsea winger Hudson-Odoi for Bundesliga stardomby Freddie Taylor9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBorussia Dortmund teenager Jadon Sancho has revealed he has spoken with Callum Hudson-Odoi about life in the Bundesliga. Sancho has excelled in Germany this season and believes Chelsea winger Hudson-Odoi, who has been the target of four bids from Bayern Munich, could also make an impact.”Me and Callum are close friends,” said Sancho, speaking from Dortmund’s winter training camp in Marbella. “We’ve played with each other at England.”He’s the next one I would say. He’s very good, very talented, fast and good dribbling skills.”I have told him the Bundesliga is a nice league. I just told him to do whatever is best for him and whatever makes him feel comfortable.”
would be staying with the Buckeyes for at least another season, it now appears as though the pic.twitter.com/lND6uVLO1v— Malik Hooker (@MalikHooker24) January 2, 2017 Although Ohio State redshirt sophomore safety Malik Hooker made a statement this season he eligibility. The 2017 NFL draft is scheduled for April 27 in Philadelphia. Hooker could draw major attention from teams needing safety help, after the Pennsylvania native drew comparisons to NFL greats Sean Taylor and Ed Reed. The Reed comparison, which came from OSU co-defensive coordinator Greg Schiano after Hooker returned three of his six interceptions for touchdowns before picking up another pick on Saturday. All-Big Ten selection has had a change of heart, deciding to forgo his final two years of college On Monday, Hooker took to Twitter to reverse his previous statement, thanking Buckeye Nation for his time with OSU. Although many draft eligible players from the Buckeyes refrained from making any statements on their draft intentions following OSU’s 31-0 loss, Hooker’s change of heart comes less than two days after Urban Meyer and company were shutout in the College Football Playoff semifinal. to grown into a man,” Hooker said in the statement. “I can’t thank my OSU family enough for taking in a small town kid like myself and allowing me Against Clemson, Hooker was a bright spot in a disappointing team performance. He finished the game with seven tackles, a half tackle for loss, and a highlight reel interception in the endzone. OSU redshirt sophomore safety Malik Hooker (24) returns an interception during the second half of the Buckeyes game against Nebraska on Nov. 5. The Buckeyes won 62-3. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo Editor pic.twitter.com/lpi34QAzHN— Malik Hooker (@MalikHooker24) January 2, 2017
OSU Director of Athletics and Vice President Gene Smith in an interview with The Lantern Jan. 29.Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editorDivision I college athletes are now able to keep their bellies as full as they want with food from their respective institutions, and Gene Smith is pleased to hear they won’t be going hungry.The NCAA Legislative Council approved criteria Tuesday allowing Division I student-athletes an unrestricted amount of meals and snacks in accordance with their respective scholarships, and OSU’s director of athletics and vice president approves.“We have always been supportive of this type of legislation,” Smith said in an email to The Lantern Thursday. “It is deregulation of student-athlete welfare benefits and permissive, meaning schools can choose to do as they please based on their needs and capabilities.”The NCAA’s announcement comes more than a week after University of Connecticut senior guard Shabazz Napier said at times he goes to bed “starving” because he doesn’t have enough money to spend on food.“We as student-athletes get utilized for what we do so well, and we’re definitely blessed to get a scholarship to our universities,” Napier said April 7 after he and his team defeated Kentucky, 60-54, to win the National Championship. “But at the end of the day, that doesn’t cover everything. We do have hungry nights that we don’t have enough money to get food in. Sometimes money is needed.”The rule — which is not to be made official until the Division I Board of Directors meet and vote on it April 24 — not only applies to student-athletes who are on full scholarship, but walk-ons as well. If passed, the rule becomes effective Aug. 1.“The provision of meals approved (Tuesday) is in addition to the meal plan provided as part of a full scholarship,” the NCAA statement read. “Prior to this change, scholarship student-athletes received three meals a day or a food stipend.”Smith did not give the monetary figures requested by The Lantern representing how much is spent on snacks or meals for OSU student-athletes, instead forwarding the question on to Associate Athletics Director for Finance Peter Hagan. Hagan did not immediately respond.The decision to remove the straps and allow Division I athletes full access to as much food as they want also comes nearly three weeks after the National Labor Relations Board’s Chicago district gave Northwestern football players the right to formally establish a union March 26, and could be another step in the movement of college athletes becoming employees.Smith’s comments on the expansion of the food benefits echo what he said in a Jan. 29 interview with The Lantern, during which he said he does “not believe student-athletes are employees.”“But I do believe we need to find ways to continue to provide additional benefits,” Smith said Jan. 29. “For example, I am a big believer in coming up with a cost of attendance model … I believe we need to lift some of the other small restrictions we have in place, whether it’s meals or travel or things of that nature that will help out a little bit.”In an attempt to get a comment from OSU football coach Urban Meyer on the situation, an OSU athletic spokesman told The Lantern in an email Tuesday that since there hasn’t been a vote from the board of directors on the issue, there was no comment. Meyer did not respond to an email requesting comment Thursday.One of Meyer’s players however, senior defensive lineman Michael Bennett, did say he would enjoy getting more of a stipend as a football player.“I mean the cost of living’s going up and I don’t think that our stipend is going up,” Bennett said after practice March 27. “So obviously a little bit more money is nice, but I’m not really in the business of trying to force people to do that.”
Photo illustration by Mark BatkeImagine not being able to say whatever you want on Twitter because one bad tweet will make headlines all over. That’s often the case for student athletes when it comes to social media, and it’s particularly true for Twitter.In 2009, Texas Tech University linebacker Marlon Williams decided not to keep his comments to himself when he tweeted about his coach being late to a team meeting.“Wondering why I’m still in this meeting room when the head coach can’t even be on time to his own meeting,” Williams tweeted.Williams’ tweet and account were deleted soon after.In 2011, then-Western Kentucky University and current Tennessee Titans running back Antonio Andrews had something to say to the fans of WKU.“One thing I can say bout #UKfans is they loyal. No matter how sorry they team is they always support them. Can’t say that bout #WKUfans smh,” Andrews tweeted.Andrews was sidelined the following game.Finally in 2012, Ohio State’s very own quarterback, Cardale Jones, then a freshman, made headlines for his controversial tweet about his opinion on attending classes and playing football.“Why should we have to go to class if we have came to play FOOTBALL, we ain’t come to play SCHOOL classes are pointless,” Jones tweeted.Shortly after, Jones’ tweet and his Twitter account were deleted, but the tweet was already captured by many.Student athletes become the face of their school whether they like it or not. They are obligated to represent their university in everything they do, including the tweets they create on Twitter. Any and everything they say will be judged by many.“It’s tough knowing that everything you do is watched pretty closely because I’m doing the same stuff I’ve always done. It’s just now people actually care what I do,” former Texas A&M quarterback and current Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel said to USA Today in January of 2013.Being a student athlete is not always easy. Yes, they might get the perks of having thousands of Twitter followers, but someone is always watching to make one simple tweet into headlines across the globe. Therefore, ask yourself, “Do I really wish to be Cardale Jones and have thousands of followers that watch my every move?” Some might say yes and some might say no, but I personally would rather stay as the average student whose tweets do not make headlines.
Categories: News 11Mar Nesbitt discusses energy plan before House committee, highlights adaptability, reliability Members of the House Energy Policy Committee today heard the specifics of a comprehensive energy package unveiled last week by Rep. Aric Nesbitt, which aims to give Michigan more control over its energy future by focusing on adaptability at a time of increasing federal mandates.Rep. Nesbitt, who chairs the House Energy Policy Committee and serves as House Majority Floor Leader, said the bills will have Michigan take a holistic approach that will spur investment in 21st century energy production, while focusing on the elements of cost-effectiveness, cleaner standards, and reliability.“With several coal-fired plants schedule for closing over the next few years, we need to make sure that Michigan has an environment where investments in new generation and energy efficiency continue, while assuring ratepayers are being provided the best value possible,” Rep. Nesbitt said. “Our policy needs to be adaptable and take a Michigan approach to Michigan issues, giving us the ability to effectively respond to burdensome federal regulations and fluctuations in the electric market.”Nesbitt further stated, “A new approach to Integrated Resource Plans (IRP) will allow us to take a broader view of our goals for cleaner energy, reliability, and cost-effectiveness, rather than maintain the plans of the past that created unnecessary fees, burdensome regulations, and special carve-outs that picked winners and losers.”The House Energy Policy Committee will continue to hold open hearings during the next few months to hear from residents, stakeholders and industry experts as these bills continued to be studied and discussed.