The real reason Raul Sanllehi decided to leave Arsenal after sending warning to board Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterSunday 16 Aug 2020 4:10 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link791Shares Advertisement Sanllehi opposed the massive wave of staff cuts Arsenal announced recently (Picture: Getty)Speaking after his exit, the Spaniard said: ‘I’m proud and pleased with the contribution I’ve made at Arsenal over the past three years, and look forward to enjoying the club’s future success. Arsenal is a true footballing institution.‘I am proud to have been part of its history and I thank Stan and Josh Kroenke for this opportunity. Working with Vinai, we have built a top team for the future. Mikel has made an extremely positive impact since his arrival and has formed a strong team with our technical director, Edu.‘The academy is in very safe hands with Per, and Huss Fahmy is a talented and highly-capable leader of our football operations. Personally, I now look forward to taking some time off and spending time with family and friends before setting to work on a new challenge and cheering Arsenal on to great things.’MORE: Vinai Venkatesham makes statement on Arsenal transfers after Raul Sanllehi exitMORE: Ian Wright sends message to Arsenal board over Mikel Arteta following Raul Sanllehi’s departureAdvertisementAdvertisementFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Comment The former head of football’s departure was announced by Arsenal on Saturday (Picture: Getty)It was Raul Sanllehi’s decision to leave Arsenal with the club’s former head of football sensing that his influence over transfers had been greatly diminished, according to reports.The Spaniard, who was previously Barcelona’s director of football, was brought in by Ivan Gazidis in 2017 to create a structure that took control of transfers away from then manager Arsene Wenger.But less than three years later, Sanllehi has parted ways with the Gunners to redistribute the balance of power back to current head coach Mikel Arteta, who now has the final say over all incomings and outgoings. Arteta and Edu now hold the axis of power over Arsenal’s transfers (Picture: Getty)Although there have been reports that it was the decision to overpay for Nicolas Pepe that brought about Sanllehi’s exit, The Telegraph claim he walked away of his own accord.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTWhether he walked before he was pushed is a different matter, but the report says Sanllehi felt control of transfers had been taken out of his hands and put in those of Arteta and technical director Edu.The former Barca chief is also said to have become ‘disillusioned’ by the club’s decision to make 55 members of staff redundant and had warned the board against doing so.Sanllehi felt the departures of a number of important members of the recruitment and scouting teams – including Francis Cagigao, who unearthed Cesc Fabregas and Hector Bellerin – would significantly compromise the club’s ability to make signings this summer.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalHowever, Arsenal themselves had felt their structure behind-the-scenes had become bloated and in need of streamlining, appointing corporate lawyer Tim Lewis to oversee a review, and Sanllehi was likely to be axed in favour of an axis of Edu and Arteta to decide transfers.Brazilian technical director Edu will now take on a bigger role in speaking to clubs and agents, while the duo will report to Vinai Venkatesham for transfer and wage budgets, with the managing director absorbing Sanllehi’s other responsibilities.
MUMBAI, India (AP): India’s limited-overs captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Suresh Raina will play for new franchises Pune and Rajkot for the coming two seasons of the Indian Premier League (IPL). Pune and Rajkot are temporary replacements for Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals, who are suspended for two years over corruption and spot-fixing in 2013. Players from Chennai and Rajasthan were made available in a draft yesterday for the two teams to pick five players each at the salary they were getting with their old teams. Dhoni was earning $2 million per season at Chennai, while Raina used to get $1.5 million. Australian captain Steven Smith, South African batsman Faf du Plessis and Indians Ajinkya Rahane and Ravichandran Ashwin were also selected by Pune. Rajkot picked India all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja, flamboyant New Zealand batsman Brendon McCullum, Australian all-rounder James Faulkner and West Indian all-rounder Dwayne Bravo. The remaining players from Chennai and Rajasthan will be available to Pune and Rajkot in an auction to be conducted in February. Last week, New Rising Consortium-owned Pune and mobile phone manufacturer Intex-owned Rajkot were selected as the replacement franchises following a reverse-bidding process in which bidders were asked to discount their annual revenue share of $6 million. New Rising gave up that revenue entirely and also committed to pay $2.4 million per year to the BCCI. Intex will pay $1.5 million per year.
Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra “I’m just one guy who has a voice and trying to use his platform in a good way,” said Ross during the Players’ Orientation Friday at Meralco Theater. “Hopefully, I could reach one person that’s going through something.”“All it takes is one person to reach, hopefully I could reach one and they could reach another person and we just keep going on from there.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsRoss joined retired Alaska captain Tony dela Cruz in tackling mental health not only within the league but also outside of it.The two athletes said anyone could suffer from it and one step in helping those in need is to talk openly about the topic. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Ross said he had a close friend who took his own life because of his issues regarding his mental health, a predicament that could’ve been avoided if someone just listened.“Once that happened to my friends in the States and to my friends out here, I felt like I could use that platform [being a PBA All-Star] to talk about it,” said Ross. “You never know who’s watching, you never know who’s listening.”“Hopefully, they could use those words and won’t be scared to reach out to someone and try to get up.”ADVERTISEMENT Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history Philippine Army to acquire MANPADS, self-propelled howitzers Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ MOST READ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award San Miguel Beer guard Chris Ross. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines—With the PBA opening its doors to its players to talk about mental health, San Miguel star guard Chris Ross said it’s the start of an advocacy that would eventually reach more people in the coming future.Ross, who’s openly discussed mental health before, said he’s fortunate to have a platform in the PBA to elaborate an issue often shunned away due to a stigma that surrounds people who suffer from mental health issues.ADVERTISEMENT PBA is here to help its players on and off court, says Willie Marcial Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.