There’s no chance of rain in the forecast through Sunday’s final round. Local blues: With the exception of former USC standout Kevin Stadler, who shot a 4-under 67, players with local ties didn’t fare well in the opening round. Corey Pavin (UCLA) was tied for 72nd at 1-over 72. Tom Lehman (former Wood Ranch pro) was tied for 88th at 73. Former UCLA standouts John Merrick (74) and Duffy Waldorf (75) were tied for 99th and 117th, respectively. Jason Gore (Hart High/Pepperdine) and David Berganio Jr. (Granada Hills) were tied for 113th after shooting 6-over 77s. And Scott Miller (Simi Valley) was one of six players left on the course when darkness suspended play. Miller, a golf professional at North Ranch Country Club of Westlake Village, was at 7-over through 16 holes and will have to complete the remainder of his round this morning. Anthony Kim, who grew up in Studio City, shot a 1-over 72, but the projected cut is even par. He played Riviera Country Club just one other time before arriving this week. Kim was 2-under during his round but was sidetracked by a double bogey on the eighth hole. MY COACH VINNY Phil Mickelson, who hadn’t played the Nissan since 2001, got some tips Wednesday from LPGA Hall of Famer Amy Alcott, who is a member at Riviera. Pat Perez, who like Mickelson shot a 5-under 66 in the opening round, received instruction the same day from a more unlikely source: actor Joe Pesci. “I worked with Pesci on my putting,” Perez admitted. “He actually made sense for once.” Perez said he usually plays a round with Pesci at Lakeside Country Club before the Nissan Open. “He said, `Just barely hold the putter … you’re doing this and doing that,’ and he got some other words in there, too,” Perez said. “But basically, just hold it and let it swing and feel how far you want to hit it.” The advice apparently worked, as Perez made 15 of 17 putts of less than 10 feet. He converted three birdies in the 13- to 14-foot range. Of course, it also helped that Perez made three more birdies of less than 3feet, what he termed “kick-ins.” “I was working on so many things (with the swing and putting),” Perez said, “that I didn’t even concentrate on what my score was.” Staff writer Gene Warnick contributed to this report. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! PACIFIC PALISADES – Greg McLaughlin, the president of the Tiger Woods Foundation, denied a report that Tiger Woods skipped the Nissan Open because he wanted to move his tournament, the Target World Challenge, from December to November in a battle with PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem. The Daily Mail of London reported that such a move was causing friction between the two and might be a reason Woods missed the season-opening Mercedes-Benz Championship and the Nissan. Bzzzzz: As Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els and Vaughn Taylor were waiting to tee off on the par-3 sixth hole, something disturbed a gigantic bee hive and hundreds of bees swarmed the fairway, sending fans scrambling. After the trio teed off, Mickelson and Els calmly walked down the fairway while Taylor tried to high-step his way around the bees. Mike Ortega, the Nissan’s tournament chairman, said he was aware of the problem and a maintenance crew was dispatched to spray the area. Ortega said Riviera doesn’t usually have a problem with bees because the weather is often rainy and cold. Do a little dance: Ortega had a strange way of trying to ensure that it wouldn’t rain this year. “I did a lot of praying and dancing to get good weather,” Ortega said. “We’ve never discussed having the tournament in November with the PGA Tour,” McLaughlin said Thursday. “We’ve had the tournament the first or second week in December since the very beginning. We’ve been pleased because we’ve had great success with that. Last year we had the best attendance yet, and we’re pleased with the dates. We’ve never had any discussions about that.” Woods has not made a public statement about why he decided to pass on the Nissan Open for just the second time in his pro career. Thus, speculation has been rampant about why he didn’t play at this week’s Nissan, where he was given his first sponsor exemption as a 16-year-old.